If you're scrolling through your social media feed and see a text-only post, chances are you're going to keep on scrolling as it just doesn't catch your eye with the vast amount of content being posted on social media on a daily basis. Visual content is an absolute must if you're trying to maximize the amount of engagement you get on your posts and the traffic to your blogs.
After all, 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual and 65% of people are visual learners. With the amount of time you put into constructing the perfect blog post, it would be a shame to leave so much potential traffic on the table because you didn't pair it with eye-catching visual content. With that in mind, here is how you can use visual content on social media to increase traffic to your blog:
How Does Visual Content Drive Engagement & Blog Traffic?
According to HubSpot, posts that had photos with them received, on average, 53% more likes and attracted 104% more comments than posts without photos. That is A LOT of engagement to leave behind for the sake of saving a little bit of time in grabbing a photo to go along with your post. Additionally, Problogger provides some solid reasons on how visual content drives engagement and blog traffic:
- More Click Throughs - Click throughs are what you're looking for if you're trying to drive more traffic to your blog. According to HubSpot, in comparison to a social media post that only has text and a link, photo posts are able to generate over 80% more click throughs!
- Say More With Less - Remember the old saying, "time is money"? We live in a world of demand and people demand to get to the bottom line, so to speak, faster than ever. According to Visual.ly, by constructing a post with 250 characters or less, you could be boosting your engagement by up to 60%!
- Makes Your Blogs Memorable - People retain information better when there is visual content.
Remember the stat from above - 90% of the information transmitted to the brain is visual. If you're putting the effort into writing your blogs, you want to make sure people aren't going to forget what you wrote as soon as they've read it.
What Is The Best Kind Of Visual Content To Use?
According to Kissmetrics, here is the kind of visual content you should be focusing on (both on social media and within your blogs) if you want to drive engagement and traffic to your blogs:
- Images - People are going to be more inclined to click on your posts and finish reading your blogs if compelling images are used. According to Jeff Bullas, articles containing images get 94% more views than those without! Original images or images taken by you add a personal touch to your marketing campaigns, something much sought after by people.
- Infographics - People love infographics. In fact, they are liked and shared on social media 3X more than any other kind of content! If you're hoping your blog post goes viral, infographics are the way to go. You can create infographics rather easily by using tools like Canva Infographic Maker, Vizualize, Piktochart, or Venngage.
- Videos - According to Moz, posts containing videos receive almost 300% more inbound links than those without, and it has been shown by putting a video on your landing page, conversions are increased by 86%! Ideas for videos you can use include how-to videos, demonstrations, customer testimonials, or animated explainer videos.
- Memes - If you're looking to give your followers a good chuckle, consider creating a meme. Memes tend to resonate well with the younger generation, so if that is your target audience, you're set! If Photoshop isn't your thing, you can use Meme generators like Imgur, Livememe, Quickmeme, or Meme Dad to infuse some humor into your posts and blogs. Here is a great example of a catchy meme:
- Presentations - SlideShare is a great tool to use for creating presentations to share on social media and expand the outreach of your business. If you're considering a Infographic, but your topic is too lengthy, a presentation is a good alternative. Research has shown the use of presentations as visual aids are 43% more effective in persuading someone to take your desired course of action.
- Screenshots - Screenshots are simple, yet effective. They provide you with the opportunity to demonstrate the inner workings of your product or service. Or you can use them to capture customer testimonials, as 88% of people read reviews to determine how to perceive your business.
Leverage Your Influencers To Promote Your Visual Content
So you put the time into crafting an awesome blog, creating the perfect visual content to go along with it, post it on your social media channels, and what's next? If you want to get as many eyes as possible on your content, leverage your influencers and get them to promote it with their followers. The idea here is to generate more engagement, more backlinks, and most importantly, more traffic.
Not sure how to identify your social media influencers, build relationships with them, and start leveraging them? Check out this blog we wrote - How To Identify & Work With Your Social Media Influencers.